It’s been cold around here lately and what better to feel cozy than a warm hearty stew! I’ve been eating mostly chicken and pork lately so thought it was time to change it up. Plus….time to pull out the slow cooker for an easy meal prep.
I feel as if my slow cooker cooks fast so I tend to lessen the recommended time but I check to make sure anything that needs to be cooked is done. Also, whenever I make a meal in the slow cooker I find a lot of the flavour goes bland so once its done I’m usually adding additional seasoning back in. But maybe its just me…I’ve been told I have a sensitive palate?
I am trying to incorporate Paleo into my diet and try to stick to it most of the time and the one thing I really enjoy about Paleo is how flavourful the food is! I do have some favourite go to websites but am always looking for new recipes and sites. I stumbled upon this recipe and thought…huh…butternut squash in stew….OK! The substitute I think is for the potato that is usually in stew but I didn’t even miss it. AND the best part was I had some pre-cut butternut squash in my freezer from the fall so perfect opportunity for me to use it for a delightful stew! Also meant less work in prepping for me! 🙂
See the following for the recipe from Paleo Leap for the Beef Stew Recipe. This is 100% Paleo, flavourful, and easy prep…set it and forget it!
The end result of this stew was delicious! The meat was tender, once I added the additional spices to the stew it was perfect! The only thing missing for me is more green veggies so I will have a side salad with a homemade Cilantro Lime Dressing.
Recipe from Paleo Leap
Beef Stew Recipe
- 1lb. beef cubes for stewing;
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and diced; (If you can pre-cut and freeze…makes prep faster)
- 1 medium onion, diced;
- 3 garlic cloves, minced;
- 4 carrots, diced;
- 6 oz. mushrooms, sliced;
- 6 oz. spinach, chopped; (I used Baby Spinach)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 14 oz. diced tomatoes;
- 1 tbsp. chili powder;
- 1 tsp. paprika;
- 1 tsp. dried oregano;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Warm up a skillet over a medium-high heat.
- Brown the beef cubes in the skillet for about 1 minute per side.
- Transfer the meat to a slow cooker.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except for the spinach and the mushrooms, to the slow cooker.
- Give everything a good stir, set the slow cooker to low and cook for 6 hours.
- Add in the mushrooms 30 minutes before the stew is done.
- Add the spinach just before serving.